Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sore and Tired

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. But I am sore and tired. We have windsurfed 7 of the 14 days since we came to Corpus Christi. After sailing very little in the 6 weeks before, we are both tired. And sore. Almost every day. But I'm not complaining.

Those who know me will understand the severity of the situation if I point out that we did not windsurf on two days with planing conditions. That includes today, where the meters showed 16 mph or more for most of the late morning and afternoon, and a short period of 20 mph wind. But yesterday was a long day. I mowed the lawn. Nina tried Vulcans, Shove-Its, Flakas, and Duck Tacks. She had a blast:
Although she did yell at the sail occasionally when it decided to hit the water instead of coming back up to her:
Her Vulcan tries look promising .. she's definitely on the way, getting the board around 90 degrees or more almost every try:
She reported that she had a couple of decent Shove-Its. Here's one where the shadow of the board on the water looks cool:
The water was almost crowded, with perhaps 20 local sailors out. That included a few good freestylers showing Donkey Jibes, Spocks, Duck Tacks, Switch Konos, and more. Even WorldWind's Randy came out to play and showed Grubbies (regular and clew first), Vulcans, Spocks, and a spectacular loop crash. Maybe he tried to show me that there's nothing to be afraid of.

More warm southerly wind is in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon - probably 5.6 and then 5.0 for me, 4.7 and 4.2 for Nina. Then a few days of "chilly" northerlies in the morning - temperatures in the 50s, but plenty of sun. Water temperatures in the Laguna Madre rise steadily on warm days, and are now in the mid-60s. I'm all out of excuses for not doing more freestyle...