Friday, July 22, 2011

Jump, jump, jump, jump

I had another lesson with Matt Pritchard 2 days ago - jumping. Here's a video:


The lesson was great, my jumps definitely improved a lot during the hour on the water. It's not that Matt told me something I had not heard before - but having specific instruction on the water which thing to focus on was really helpful. Seeing his many jumps as an example was just as helpful, and cool. I loved the way he set down very gently after the jumps - I did not even know that's possible.

During the lesson, we focus on board control in the air (exposing the underside), and I definitely got a feeling for that. Next, I'll have to work on staying sheeted in. The wind was in the 30-40 mph range during the lesson, so staying sheeted in was not so easy even when just sailing along...

Yesterday, I got skunked for the first time here. Wind in the early afternoon was great, and during the past 3 weeks, the wind always stayed up until 6:30 or 7 pm. When we finally got to Kanaha (after getting new harness lines - the NP Vario lines are impossible to get into in high wind), the meter showed 32 averages, so I rigged the 4.5. But by the time I made it onto the water, the wind had dropped more than 10 mph. I ended up barely planing for 15 seconds, and schlogging for 20 minutes. No fun...

2 comments:

  1. Nice video

    too effing hot to read today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really flex the knees before the jump to "load up" for popping. Keep your speed up as much as possible, keep the sail sheeted in; I don't even bother unhooking before the jump. When you hit the ramp, jump mightily, pull the boom up with you, keep the sail sheeted in, tuck your back leg, curl your toes. You can also lean back a bit and hang from the sail when you're in the air, to get more lift from the sail; if you get this right, everything will feel weightless. Straighten your legs just before you land, land on soft knees and the board will hit the water smoothly. Keep your weight low and let the sail go forward and sheet out a bit if you need to to control the power.

    I try to count 1-2-3-4-... when I jump, as a way of keeping track of hang time, the way you use a GPS to keep track of speed.

    Pulling up the back leg is crucial to starting to learn to loops.

    ReplyDelete