Monday, July 11, 2011

Light wind on Maui

Well, it happens on Maui, too: we had light wind today, where my "big" gear (a 5.7 m sail and 93 l FSW board) was not big enough to get me planing consistently. At first, the wind meter readings showed averages of 17, gusts of 20, and I was planing maybe 2/3 of the time. Nina rigged a 5.0, but the wind was too low to test her new custom, so she took the Goya One 77. She planed a bit more than I did, but had to work hard for it. Then, the wind dropped off more, and I practiced schlogging a sinker again (although, I have to admit, the 93 l board is starting to feel bigger).

Today, the only guys who were planing most of the time were the slalom racers, who used race sails in the 6-7 m range. For the next 2 days, the computer models predict just a tad more wind; unless the wind meter readings look better than today, we may not go sailing. After all, there are still a few other fun things we can do before my daughter has to fly back home in a few days.